Our Chat Room

Friday, October 1, 2010

IF YOU GO AWAY

This article was taken with the permission from the writer(Dr.M. Bakri Musa)

When confronted with an entity or situation that you are not satisfied with ,you have three choices:exit,voice, and loyalty, to quote the economist Hirschman. You leave(exist), try to improve from within(voice), or stick with it and hope for the best(loyalty), Hirschman oversimplifies things. If the organization were the only entity in town,you would no choice : and when you could not leave, your would automatically be ineffective and your loyalthy not valued. If I have a qualification recognized only in Malaysia or fluent in a language that was understood only in locally , then I would have been stuck. I was fortunate to be able to exercise not one but all three options. I left, but my voice and loyalty live through my books and commentaries.

This freedom separates me from other commentators in Malaysia. I do not have to worry about the police knocking on my door in the middle of the night, as had happened to Kassim Ahmad,Syed Hussin Ali,Raja Petra Kamarudin and many others.( please read,Towards A Competitive Malaysia,M.Bakri Musa.SIRD,2007,Petaling Jaya,Malaysia)




No comments:

Post a Comment